In this episode, Ted interviews a real-life action hero, Lauren Mary Kim. Lauren is a professional stunt-woman, who recently doubled Elodie Young in the Netflix-Marvel collaboration The Defenders.
This is not the usual Legendary Life Interview. It’s less about facts and figures, and more about mindset, motivation and inspiration. Ted and Lauren discuss what it’s like being a stunt double for some of the biggest name celebrities, how she prepares herself mentally for stunts that put her life and limb at risk, and a special moment with Sigourney Weaver on set.
Non-stunt people can learn a lot from this episode. Lauren shares her techniques and tactics for staying in peak shape and injury free, as well as some great take-aways about things you can do to make your own life better.
This episode isn’t so much about the science and nutrition, although Lauren and Ted do talk about martial arts, strength training and diet. Ultimately it’s a great reminder not to forget about the cool things we can experience as humans.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What Lauren actually does as a stunt double (3.33)
- Her journey from a Laker Girl to an action heroine (7.20)
- The power of persistence (10.05)
- Lauren’s perspective on being a woman in a heavily male-dominated industry (11.34)
- How she got involved with martial arts (13.35)
- What it’s like working with amazing actresses like Elodie Young and Sigourney Weaver (17.26)
- How long it really takes to shoot the amazing fast-paced action scenes we all love watching (23.15)
- The most dangerous stunt Lauren’s ever done (25.00)
- Why getting too comfortable is sabotaging your success (27.05)
- How being a Power Ranger helped Lauren overcome claustrophobia (32.43)
- The psychological work Lauren does to keep herself mentally fit for the job (36.13)
- Why you should invest in your training instead of trying to learn something on your own (39.10)
- How to stay injurie-free (40.50)
- What is acupuncture and cupping (44.15)
- What Lauren eats on a typical day to stay fit (48.45)
- The reason she doesn’t do Cross fit or lift heavy weights (52.30)
- What happens when you video yourself learning Kali (54.33)
- How to step up in life and stand out above the rest (1.00.55)
Connect with Mary Kim:
Check Out Her Marvel’s Highlight Video:
- Evidence is great, but it’s nice to hear cool inspirational stories too. Never forget that it’s about the human experience.
- Master the basics really well, and then keep evolving. There’s always another level to strive for.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Put yourself in uncomfortable situations to get the most out of life and to continue growing.
“People want things to happen fast…but the truth is that takes a lot of time and dedication.” Tweet Quote
“It took me a long time to get to where I am, so I think the secret is just perseverance and dedication.” Tweet Quote
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to the ASK TED section.
Check out my video training, where I’ll walk you through the 5 Mistakes that almost everyone makes when trying to lose weight. To get access to this video training, you just need to fill out our 3-Min Survey.
Until next time!