Alex Viada, NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and USA Triathlon Coach, is the founder and co-owner of Complete Human Performance. A lifelong athlete, he has participated and competed in nearly every sport imaginable (some with greater success than others), since being dragged to his first swim meet when he was four years old.
Alex has close to 13 years of personal training and coaching experience with over 300 athletes of all ages and levels, in sports ranging from bodybuilding to ultra-running to triathlon to cycling to powerlifting. He has also prepared close to 40 individuals for Ranger School, SFAS, BUD/s, and other selective military programs. His Hybrid Training method is simple — it consists of breaking down the demands and unique stressors of every type of training an athlete requires, and programming to target specific demands, not “labels” (i.e. “strength training,” “conditioning,” “endurance training,” etc.).
The result is a style of programming that has produced a significant number of powerlifting triathletes and 300+ pound runners. Many athletes working with Complete Human Performance find themselves setting personal records in strength, speed and distance at the same time–something that was traditionally seen as impossible.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why you need to introduce mobility training into your workout (11:47)
- 5 Exercises to improve mobility (14:05)
- Why Alex recommends training with an old school bodybuilder (14:17)
- Weight training: Do’s and don’ts of proper technique (16:01)
- The optimal diet (22:10)
- 3 Tips to get you in the best shape of your life (19:18)
- When should you get nutrition blood panel (31:08)
- Sleep quantity vs. sleep quality: What’s really important (40:11)
- How to keep building muscle after 40 (51:52)
- Zone 2 training: How to build your aerobic base (61:34)
- The benefits of concurrent training (63:22)
- 5 At-home workouts to lose weight and build muscle (68:20)
“If you are not a 100% where you want to be, break down what it’s going to take to get there.” Tweet Quote
Connect with Alex:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to the ASK TED section.
Check out my brand new video training series, where I’ll walk you through the 3-Step formula to lose 7 pounds in 2 weeks (without starvation or insane workouts), you can learn the 7 fat loss strategies that will help you finally create that energetic, lean body you’ve always wanted.
Until next time!