In this episode, brain health expert Max Lugavere shares invaluable insights on how to prevent and reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss, and cognitive decline at any age. Plus, how to achieve optimal brain performance, increased energy, and improve your happiness by eating genius foods. Listen now to prevent cognitive decline and build your best brain yet.
Max Lugavere is a filmmaker, health and science journalist and brain food expert. He is also the director of the upcoming film Bread Head, the first-ever documentary about dementia prevention through diet and lifestyle and author of the soon-to-be released, Genius Foods. Lugavere has contributed to Medscape, Vice, Fast Company, and the Daily Beast and has been featured on NBC Nightly News, the Dr. Oz Show, and in The Wall Street Journal, among others.
He is a sought-after speaker, invited to lecture at esteemed academic institutions such as the New York Academy of Sciences and Weill Cornell Medicine, has given keynotes at such events as the Biohacker Summit in Stockholm, Sweden, he also recently spoke at TEDx. From 2005-2011, Lugavere was a journalist for Al Gore’s Current TV. He lives in New York City and Los Angeles.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
– How his mom’s memory problems led to Max’s new book and documentary (5:14)
– How doctors weren’t able to help Max’s mom with conventional treatments (8:15)
– Why Alzheimer’s disease begins in the brain 30-40 years before the first symptom (9:00)
– Why neurodegenerative diseases can affect your ability to walk or balance (12:27)
– How doctors practice the “diagnose and adios” style of medicine (15:20)
– Why new research takes so long to be used by doctors (and why you shouldn’t wait for them to catch up) (16:42)
– The connection between diet & lifestyle and brain health explained (18:30)
– Why Alzheimer’s is called “type III diabetes” (19:37)
– What type of testing you should do to determine your risk for Alzheimer’s (25:08)
– Do ketogenic and low carb diets improve your brain health? (29:23)
– Why whole grains may not be the health food you think (33:01)
– Why “eating in moderation” is bad advice (40:42)
– Best genius foods to boost your brain power (42:56)
– The importance of eating quality meat, chicken and eggs (49:19)
– Is saturated fat bad for your brain? (49:50)
– For Alzheimer’s, it’s not all about the genes (53:42)
– Best ways to improve your brain’s health & performance (55:31)
Terry Wahls TED Talk
Connect with Max:
Want help becoming the healthiest, fittest, strongest version of yourself this year?
Most people know that exercise, eating well, and quality sleep are important for looking and feeling better. Yet they need help applying that knowledge in the context of their busy, sometimes stressful lives.
That’s why we created our brand new training called “How To Burn Fat, Build Muscle And Transform Your Body Forever (Even If You’re 30, 40, or 50)”. This training is packed with everything you need to know to finally create that leaner, fitter, and healthier body that you’ve always wanted.
PLUS: If you stay until the end you get a special bonus: a 7-day body transformation template to drop up to 7 lbs in a week without starving or going crazy.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to the ASK TED section.
Until next time!