If you have lower back pain, you are not alone. About 80 percent of adults experience low back pain at some point in their lifetimes. It is the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed work days. In today’s episode, leading physical therapist Dr. Chad Waterbury talks about why back pain happens, how to fix it, and what you can do to avoid it in the first place. You’ll also hear about how I injured my back while in Thailand and how Chad consulted with me over the internet to get me back in action fast.
Dr. Chad Waterbury is a board-certified physical therapist and performance expert. Chad received his Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from the University of Southern California, the nation’s top-ranked program. He has a M.S. in neurophysiology and he specializes in building the precise balance of strength, explosive power and mobility in athletes and non-athletes alike. Chad has hundreds of published articles and he’s the author of Huge in a Hurry by Rodale publishing and High-Frequency Training 2 (HFT2). Chad has lectured for the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and Perform Better. He lives in Santa Monica, CA.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
– How Ted injured his back and how Chad got him better fast [4:15]
– Why conventional medical treatment for joint injuries is seriously misguided [6:30]
– Why lumbar disc herniations hurt so badly (and how to relieve the pain) [9:12]
– How our body’s protective mechanisms can make injuries worse (if you don’t have the right treatment) [12:17]
– Why your nervous system is the key to getting out of pain (and not your injured joint) [13:30]
– Why you’ll never be able to solve your pain and joint injuries on your own [15:00]
– This is the #1 key to making FAST recovery with an injury [17:07]
– This is what causes the most injuries [21:50]
– How to prevent injuries with the RIGHT exercises [26:20]
– The power of isometric exercises to prevent and heal injuries [34:45]