Douglas Rushkoff a professor of media theory and digital economics at Queens College, CUNY. He is the bestselling author of Present Shock, as well ass a dozen other books on media, life, and culture. Named as one of the world’s most influential thinkers by MIT, he has also award-winning documentaries including Generation Like and Digital Nation. He new book Throwing Rocks At The Google Bus argues that we have failed to build the distributed economy that digital networks are capable of fostering, and instead doubled down on the industrial age mandate of growth above all.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why the inequalities of the digital economy are just bad programming
- Major problem in modern business corporations
- The connection between corporate growth and our health
- Why the story of Twitter prompted Doug’s investigation into where corporate values originated
- Why you should invest locally instead of with bigger corporations
- Why peer-to-peer business used to be the norm
- How the idea central currency led to the economy of growth
- How chartered monopolies became modern corporations
- Why the promise of digital technology didn’t work out
- How we’re being programmed by digital technology
- Why corporate leaders nor their employees are happy with the current economic model
- Why it’s better to have a smaller, leaner company
- Why big corporations are like obese people
- Why corporate profit is going down
- Practical steps to improve the health of our economy
- Why family businesses perform better than shareholder companies in the long-term
- How a small company is putting Walmarts out of business
Connect with Douglas:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to the ASK TED section.
Don’t forget to visit our FREE 30-DAY CHALLENGE and join us to change your health, body, and live a Legendary Life.
Until next time!