Today’s issue is brought to you by Unstoppable After 40 Coaching Program. We help executives, entrepreneurs and business owners lose 20+ lbs of fat and look their best without triggering old injuries, sacrificing their social life, or spending hours in the gym.
If you’re an entrepreneur who’s looking to get into your best shape in a way that fits your busy lifestyle click the link below to learn how our program works.
In today’s newsletter email, I wanna do something a little different.
The most common question I’ve been getting lately is this;
“What’s the best way to get in shape?”
I’m not surprised.
Because a Forbes Health/OnePoll survey of 1,000 U.S. adults conducted in October 2023 found that nearly 48% of respondents noted that improving fitness was their top priority.
So, I want to add value and give you some actionable plan to achieve the lean strong and fitter body that you want in 2024, even if you have a tight schedule, a business or career to grow and a family to take care.
There are 5 simple shifts to unlocking your best body, and if you just do these 5 things, you’ll finally get into the shape you’ve always wanted to be in and maintain that shape, while experiencing more energy and vitality than you ever thought possible
Here is your Unstoppable After 40 Friday Digest:
Strategy #1— Maximize Your Protein.
Here’s a pro tip for a healthier diet: Swap fatty proteins for leaner options. Why does this matter?
• Calorie Comparison: Carbs and protein pack 4 calories per gram, but fat doubles the count at 9 calories per gram. Many popular protein sources are loaded with as many calories from fat as they have from protein.
• Lean Protein Swaps: For one week, try these simple switches:
- Swap Ribeye for Filet: Enjoy the same rich taste with fewer calories.
- Choose Egg Whites over Whole Eggs: Same protein, fewer calories.
- Switch from Salmon to Whitefish: A lighter option, equally nutritious.
- Opt for Chicken Breast instead of Chicken Thighs: Leaner and protein-packed.
- Replace Regular Greek Yogurt with Nonfat Greek Yogurt: Creamy, high in protein, and lower in calories.
These swaps allow you to consume more protein while cutting back on calorie intake. It’s not about cutting out fats entirely, but about making smarter choices to balance the calories in your diet.
And for the meals that matter (anniversaries, birthdays, etc.) just eat your whole egg omellete or ribeye steak.
Embrace these changes for a week and notice the difference.
Strategy #2—Get More Steps.
Why is a daily step goal so crucial for your health?
- Boosts Physical Activity: Setting a daily step target encourages you to be more active. Whether it’s a stroll in the park, taking the stairs, or a lunchtime walk, every step counts towards your fitness.
- Enhances Overall Well-being: Regular walking improves cardiovascular health, helps you burn calories, and reduces stress. It’s a simple yet effective way to boost your physical and mental health.
- Easy to Track: With loads of wearable devices and smartphone apps, tracking your steps has never been easier.
It’s not just about hitting a number. It’s about making movement a part of your daily routine.
Based on research, your standard should be 7k steps per day.
Not there yet?
Start small and gradually increase your step count. Find ways to incorporate walking into your day – take a walk during phone calls, park farther from the store, or have walking meetings.
On days you fall short, just step up the effort the next day or later that week. Watch your weekly average instead of stressing about what you get daily.
Strategy #3—Lift Weights Every Week.
Builds Muscle: Weight lifting is key for muscle growth. More muscle makes you look great as you lose fat.
• Boosts Metabolism: Muscles are metabolic powerhouses. By lifting weights, you increase your resting metabolic rate, meaning you burn more calories even when you’re not exercising.
• Sustainable Fat Loss: Unlike cardio, weight training ensures you lose fat without sacrificing muscle, leading to a toned physique and sustainable weight management.
Remember, cardio burn calories.
But training with weights transforms your body.
Start with manageable weights and progressively increase intensity.
You don’t need a gym to begin – start with basic exercises like squats, lunges and push ups at home. Then build from there.
Strategy #4—Focus on sleep.
Scientific studies have shown sleep is a gamechanger for fat loss.
• Regulates Hunger Hormones: Insufficient sleep disrupts the balance of hunger-regulating hormones like ghrelin and leptin. This leads to you being more hungry.
• Decreases Calorie Intake: Studies indicate that people who sleep less are prone to consume up to 300-500 more calories daily. And the calories aren’t coming from superfood salad either.
• Protects Muscle Mass: Adequate sleep is essential for muscle recovery and growth. Poor sleep can lead to muscle loss, as the body can’t repair and build muscle effectively. This is crucial because maintaining muscle mass is key for a healthy metabolism and fat loss.
Not getting enough sleep can sabotage your efforts to lose fat. So aim for at least 7 hours of restful sleep each night. I track my sleep with an Oura ring (no financial affiliation) and it’s been the best thing I’ve done for improving sleep quality.
Strategy #5—Consistency: The Key to Lasting Results.
Staying consistent should be your priority.
• Continuity in Routine: When you regularly hit your daily step goals, engage in weekly weight training, ensure quality sleep, and prioritize protein intake, you create a powerful synergy that propels your results forward.
• The Slip-Up Reality: Just like mastering the perfect bench press technique, learning to bounce back from slip-ups is crucial . Life happens. The art lies in not letting life’s curveballs become permanent setbacks.
• Resilience over Perfection: Consistency doesn’t mean perfection. It’s about the commitment to get back on track and the perspective that progress is a cumulative result of your regular efforts.
Remember, missing a workout, faltering on your diet, or falling short on steps doesn’t spell failure.
It’s your response to these slip-ups that defines your journey.
Embrace consistency as a skill – practice it like any exercise, refine it, and watch as it transforms your approach to fitness and health.
Keep moving forward, one step, one lift, and one good night’s sleep at a time!
Legendary Life Coaching Client Highlight: Todd E.
He’s a senior engineer who was working 55-hour weekly shifts to provide the best life for his family.
Although Todd has been exercising and lifting weights since he was 15, his lifestyle changed dramatically when he became an engineer and got a desk job. His weight had crept up from 190lbs to 285lbs.
After almost 2 decades of trials and errors Todd decided that he was ready for that change. He wanted to be in great shape for his 50th birthday.
Todd and I worked together for six months and in that time his transformation was remarkable.
- He lost 71lbs in 6 months.
- His sleep went from 4 hours ➡️ 8 hours/night.
- He 🔼 productivity and 🔼money.
But the best part is he is feeling younger and ready to enjoy the best decades of his life.
If you’re an entrepreneur who wants to be confident in your body and increase energy in a way that fits your busy life, click here for a strategy call.
Question of the week:
If you talk about it, it’s a dream. If you envision it, it’s possible. If you schedule it, it’s real.”–Tony Robbins
Want to share this issue of Unstoppable After 40 via text, social media, or email? Just copy and paste this link:
Until next week,
Celebrity Trainer, Health & Wellness Coach & Longevity Expert
P.S. Thank you for being a subscriber.
Read past editions of the newsletters here.
Have feedback? We’d love to hear from you.
Email us at email@example.com.