Choosing the right foods is one part of eating healthy—but how you prepare them also plays a role. Did you know that higher cooking temperatures can create chemical reactions among amino acids, creatines, and sugars — reactions that may produce dangerous compounds that can damage our DNA. Sounds confusing? We invited nutrition expert Alex Leaf to explain how cooking oils, cooking methods, and household chemicals can affect your health based on the latest research. Plus, he will share his nutrition hacks to help you cook for the biggest health benefits. Listen Now!
Alex is a researcher for Examine.com, an online encyclopedia on supplementation and nutrition. He is also part of the teaching staff for the Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine program at the University of Western States.
Alex’s primary focus is on blending science with common sense to help himself and others better understand nutritional research and ways to optimize health through nutrition, fitness, and lifestyle.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
– How Alex became a nutrition researcher (7:10)
– Discover this supplement biohack that helps you find out how much active ingredients do you have on your supplement (10:45)
– Top 3 Nutrition and weight loss myths busted (12:00)
– How to determine your ideal body fat percentage (14:38)
– How to protect your health with the right dietary fats 16:12- How diabetes, fatty liver, and heart disease emerge from too much body fat (17:00)
– What are health and unhealthy body fat percentages (19:07)
– A simple test to tell whether you need to lose body fat or not (22:16)
– How your food choices and cooking methods affect your health (23:05)
– All about cooking and carcinogens (24:03)
-How to cook your food for the biggest health benefits (30:44)
-Everything you need to know about cooking oils (34:44)
– Why butter, lard, and other animal oils are not good for cooking (37:18)
– How oxidized cholesterol leads to heart disease (37:52)
– The healthiest cooking and salad oils (39:53)
– The best cooking methods for improved health (40:21)
– Is organic food better for you? (45:14)
– The health difference between organic vs non-organic food (46:40)
– 3 Biggest misconceptions about organic food (48:29)
-Endocrine disruptors: Should we be afraid? (49:34)
– How to reduce endocrine disrupting chemicals in your home (53:24)
– Why buying organic toiletries may be more important than buying organic food to reduce toxin exposure (54:41)
– Why there’s no such thing as alternative medicine (58:09)
Connect with Alex:
Want help becoming the healthiest, fittest, strongest version of yourself 3X faster?
Most people over 40 know that exercise, eating well, and quality sleep are important for looking and feeling better. Yet they need help applying that knowledge in the context of their busy, sometimes stressful lives.
If you’ve recently tried to follow a workout program that you used to do in your twenties, you probably noticed that it isn’t as effective as it used to be! When you are in your late 30s, 40s, and 50s, you need a workout designed for your age and lifestyle. So, you can exercise without straining your body, feeling exhausted afterwards or even getting injured and taking too many days to recover.
My 6-week customized workouts are designed to make you workout smarter, not harder.This is a program specifically designed for people over 40 is packed with everything you need to k to finally create that leaner, fitter, and healthier body that you’ve always wanted.
PLUS: If you buy in the next 48 hours, you’ll have direct access to me and you can ask all your burning questions in this one coaching email that you get as a bonus. Also, I’ll give you specific advice for nutrition and supplementation, so you can get results faster.