There are so many diets out there, but which ones actually work? In this episode, renowned nutrition expert Alan Aragon will share what the science says about the most popular diets while explaining the long-term effects on your body and health. Plus, he will crack the latest fish oil, coconut oil, and bitter controversy. Listen to this episode and learn how to fix your diet, so you don’t get confused by nutrition advice again.
Today, the guest is Alan Aragon, and if you’re in the fitness industry, you’ve likely heard of him. He co-authored the most-viewed article in the Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition’s history on post-workout nutrition. He’s the guy who helped us change our post-workout protein recommendations based on the best evidence. Not only has he worked with notable clients like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Derrick Fisher, and Pete Sampras, but he also helps educate other fitness professionals about what they do with their clients regarding nutrition. Alan specializes in fat-loss nutrition, muscle-building nutrition, and he’s here today to give us a different perspective.
This is an information-packed episode. Alan will go into fat loss and what people need to do to finally start getting the results they want. Ted and Alan also dive into the ketogenic diet, which is super popular right now, so you’ll learn about the effectiveness of it as well as what it means long-term and whether you should do it or not. Also covered are dietary fats and their effect on cardiovascular health and weight-loss plateaus, why they happen, and how you can get around them.
Alan brings the evidence-based approach. He’ll share what being evidence-based really means and why you should care about it even if you’re not a researcher or in the fitness industry.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What Alan does and his journey from personal trainer to a nutritional counselor, researcher, and lecturer (4.29)
- New research on improving body composition and athletic performance (5.35)
- The most impressive person Alan has worked with (7.03)
- What evidence-based really means and why it matters to your health (9.35)
- The misconception and the reality regarding research results and why you still need to pay attention to personal trials/self-experiments (12.40)
- Why there is confusion about the first law of thermodynamics and why it matters (16.16)
- The importance of training to improve body composition (19.05)
- Ketogenic diet vs. Calories-in-calories-out (20.50)
- The importance of protein in your diet (25.05)
- Insulin and weight gain (26.22)
- Why there’s so much confusion over health and fitness information (28.30)
- Is the ketogenic diet safe? (31.55)
- Making sacrifices to lose weight: Are they worth it? (36.03)
- Can a ketogenic diet help fight cancer? (37.20)
- How fat affect your heart’s health (40.30)
- Health benefits of coconut oil, butter, and blood lipids (43.00)
- The craze of fish oil supplementation of the early 2000s and what the research is saying now (46.46)
- The web of epidemiology, tightly controlled experiments, and how the two types of literature converge (52.32)
- Food quality vs. counting calories (55.35)
- 3 Reasons you’re not losing weight on a calorie deficit diet (1.02.05)
- What non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is and why you need to be aware of it (1.05.20)
- How to effectively manage clients expectations (1.09.22)
Like This Show? Support Our Podcast By Leaving Us a Review & Subscribing to Our Podcast!
If you’d like to support and help grow the Legendary Life Podcast, one of the easiest ways to do so is to take two minutes right now and leave a review of the podcast over on iTunes or your preferred podcast platform
Because the more reviews the show gets, the more people will find it and listen. And the more people who listen, the bigger this movement will get.
Together we can change the conversation around reclaiming your health, creating the body you deserve, and living a legendary life!