Toxic diet culture places value on being a certain size, weight, and shape over actually being healthy. Diet culture also promotes the false notion that health equals to thinness. In today’s episode, our special guest performance nutritionist and evidence-based educator Danny Lennon explain why it’s time to leave diet culture behind for good and focus on optimal health for a balanced life. Listen Now!
Danny is the founder of Sigma Nutrition, a company providing educational media content on nutritional and health science. Hosting the top-ranked podcast Sigma Nutrition Radio. Danny has a master’s degree (MSc.) in Nutritional Sciences from University College Cork and completed his research thesis directly under the world-renowned vitamin D researcher Professor Kevin Cashman.
Danny has worked as a nutrition practitioner with a wide variety of clients. He became well known for his role as a performance nutritionist to professional mixed martial artists & boxers. He oversees the Sigma Nutrition online coaching service, in which a number of excellent coaches work one-on-one with a wide array of clients.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How the Idea of “Healthy Eating” can be Harmful [05:47-10:15]
- The benefits of focusing on maintaining a healthy body fat percentage [10:18-16:09]
- Diets are the new religion [16:23-24:51]
- The pros and cons of interacting with online support groups [24:54-31:42]
- Why life purpose is important [31:46-48:33]
- When work stress yields depression it’s unbearable [36:52-39:37]
- Health At Every Size (HAES) – What’s It All About? [49:10-01:57:31]
- How your actions affect others [57:32-01:04:56]
Connect with Danny:
Thinking, Fast and Slow book by Daniel Kahneman
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience book by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi