If you’ve been fixated on changing your body lately, it can be really easy to get stuck on calorie deficits, macros, and quick fixes. But, just because you’re losing fat doesn’t mean that you’re healthy—especially if you start having trouble with sleep, anxiety, skin issues, and other symptoms that indicate that your diet is “off.” That’s why I invited Nutrition and Biochemistry Expert Chris Masterjohn to discuss how to optimize your nutrition for vibrant health. Listen now!
Chris Masterjohn is an expert on fat, cholesterol, and pretty much everything else we’re told to avoid. He has written hundreds of articles for the web on his blog the Daily Lipid, as well as Mother Nature Obeyed. He has a Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences with a concentration in Biochemical and Molecular Nutrition at the University of Connecticut. He has authored two peer-reviewed research papers that are available on PubMed.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why many people who are part of the evidence-based science tribe don’t understand science very well (5:45)
- Why the science of “detoxification” is very real (7:14)
- Why ancestral health is important for our modern health problems (11:16)
- Traditional diets Vs Modern diets (13:48)
- Evolutionary eating: what we can learn from our primitive past (17:37)
- The importance of looking at health through an evolutionary lens (18:47)
- Which ancestral health practices have been validated by science (22:06)
- What you can learn from hunter-gatherers’ sleeping patterns (25:40)
- Why dimming blue light and avoiding light 1 hour before bed isn’t enough to improve your sleep (27:55)
- Sunlight exposure, circadian rhythms, and your health (34:08)
- Beyond fat loss: How to Optimize your nutrition for vibrant health (37:20)
- The role of food quality for fat loss (40:00)
- Best nutritional practices for improved health (41:10)
- Are grains healthy for you? (46:52)
- Is it healthy to completely remove any food group from your diet? (50:31)
- When you should try an extreme diet like keto (54:09)
- Everything you should know about your genes and nutrition (59:50)
- What is the MTHFR gene and why it’s important to your health? (1:00:30)
- What is the COMT gene and how it affects your mental health? (1:03:05)
- How fat loss diets can affect your mood through nutrient deficiencies (1:07:20)
- What is amino acid glycine and why you should care? (1:11:10)
- Why creatine monohydrate supplementation can boost your health (1:13:38)
- How to determine whether you have a nutritional deficiency or not (1:18:07)
- When should you spend money on nutritional testing to solve a problem (1:23:50)
Like This Show? Support Our Podcast By Leaving Us a Review & Subscribing to Our Podcast!
If you’d like to support and help grow the Legendary Life Podcast, one of the easiest ways to do so is to take two minutes right now and leave a review of the podcast over on iTunes or your preferred podcast platform
Because the more reviews the show gets, the more people will find it and listen. And the more people who listen, the bigger this movement will get.
Together we can change the conversation around reclaiming your health, creating the body you deserve, and living a legendary life!