Have you wondered what genetic testing can really tell you about your medical future?
If you’re a curious person like me who is always checking the trends of health and fitness, you’ve probably seen those home DNA testing kits that promise to tell you exactly how to exercise and eat based on your genes.
In today’s interview, Dr. John Berardi explains what you need to know about genetic testing and if it’s a fad or the future.
Dr. John Berardi is a legend in the health and fitness industry, having written for Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, and Testosterone Nation.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
– How companies are marketing genetics testing for nutrition and exercise (4:38)
– Why you should question the genetic testing technology of companies trying to sell you DNA testing kits (5:50)
– Do DNA test kits actually give you actionable advice (7:00)
– Why medicine has failed at treating and preventing chronic disease (9:34)
– Why epigenetics are just as important as your DNA (14:08)
– How your genes and your lifestyle interact to affect your health (15:40)
– Why having a higher genetic risk of cancer may not mean what you think (16:30)
– Why genetic mutations are very common (20:00)
– Who should buy a DNA testing kit and how will it help (22:04)
– How some DNA testing companies exaggerate the claims of what their test can do (25:56)
– Why science is complicated and you need to be cautious about what your hear in the media (32:10)
– What practical take-away John got from his DNA testing experiment (34:11)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
Free Ebook: Genetics: The Universe Within
NOVA documentary: Ghost In your Genes
Introduction To Human Behavioral Biology by Robert Sapolksy
The Trouble With Testosterone by Robert Sapolksy
Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky
Related Post: How Healthy Habits Can Transform Your Body More Than Any Diet with John Berardi, PhD
Connect with John:
Related Post: 11 Things Nobody Tells You About Eating Healthy And Losing Weight That Sabotages Your Progress With John Berardi, PhD
Want help becoming the healthiest, fittest, strongest version of yourself this year?
Most people know that exercise, eating well, and quality sleep are important for looking and feeling better. Yet they need help applying that knowledge in the context of their busy, sometimes stressful lives.
That’s why we created our brand new training called “How To Burn Fat, Build Muscle And Transform Your Body Forever (Even If You’re 30, 40, or 50)”. This training is packed with everything you need to know to finally create that leaner, fitter, and healthier body that you’ve always wanted.
PLUS: If you stay until the end you get a special bonus: a 7-day body transformation template to drop up to 7 lbs in a week without starving or going crazy.